Cranberry beans are light colored beans with cranberry speckles. Also called borlotti beans, they have a creamy texture with a mild, nutty flavor.
Cranberry beans are a great source of dietary fiber, protein, iron and various other vitamins & minerals.
Item #060567 (5lb) ^Special Order
Item #065032 (50lb) ^Special Order
Ingredients: Dried Cranberry Beans.
Basic Bean Cooking Directions:
- Sort Them: Place dried beans on a pan or clean kitchen towel and sort them - pick out any broken or shriveled beans and remove any stones or debris. (Natural products can contain debris and you'll be happy you followed this step when it's time to eat them).
- Rinse Them: Put the sorted beans in a colander and rinse well in cold, running water.
Soak Them: When you soak beans before you cook them you release (and remove) some of the indigestible sugars that can lead to flatulence. You can soak in a couple of ways:
- Normal Soak: Put the rinsed beans into a bowl and cover with 2 to 3 inches of clean, cool water. Let them soak at room temperature for 8 hours or so (overnight is great). If your soaking area is too hot, put them in the refrigerator to keep them from fermenting. Drain & rinse.
- QuickSoak: Put the rinsed beans into a pot and cover with 2 to 3 inches of clean, cool water. Bring them to a boil and let them cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and set aside for 1 hour. Drain & rinse.
- Cook Them: Put the drained & rinsed beans into a large pot and cover with 2 inches of water or stock. (This is not the time to add salt because it will slow the softening process of the bean). Bring to a boil slowly while skimming any foam off the surface of the pot. Reduce heat, cover and simmer (stirring occasionally and adding more liquid as needed to keep the beans covered). Cook until beans are tender when mashed or pierced with a fork. Cooking times vary with the variety, age and size of beans;but generally they take about 1 to 2 hours.
- Tips for reducing gas: Soaking & skimming the beans will help reduce the gas producing properties of the bean. Adding a large dried strip of kombu seaweed to the pot of beans and water prior to boiling can also help, or you can add a couple slices of ginger or some fennel or cumin seeds. Make sure to remove the kombu after cooking.
^Special Order products may take and additional 5-7 days to process
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Partial Disclaimer: The product packaging you receive may be different than pictured here. In addition, it may contain information that differs from that shown here. Please review the product package before consuming and do not rely only on the details shown here, especially – but not limited to – ingredients and allergens. For more information, please see our full disclaimer.