Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) has been cultivated for a long time. Quinoa, a seed grain touted for it's nutty, earthy flavor is prepared virtually the same way as other whole grains. Its popularity as a super food has increased over the last few years, because it is a source of complete protein and is also high in iron, magnesium & fiber.
Quinoa needs to be rinsed before use because it has a natural coating, called saponin, that can make the cooked grain bitter. Even pre-rinsed quinoa can benefit from an additional rinse right before use. Quinoa does not require soaking.
Black, Red & White Quinoa share the same nutritional values. The main difference is color in cooked dishes and the fact that Black & Red can occasionally have a deeper flavor.
Item #AA0877 (4lb)
Ingredients: 100% Organic White, Red & Black Quinoa.
Basic Cooking: Use 2 cups water or broth for every 1 cup of uncooked quinoa. (1 cup dry quinoa yeilds approximately 3 cups cooked quinoa).
- Rinse: Measure dry quinoa into a fine-mesh strainer. Rinse under cool water for about 2 minutes, swirling with a spoon or hand as you do. Drain.
- (Optional) Toast Quinoa: Using a drizzle of high-heat oil, toast quinoa over a medium-high stove for about 1 minutes, stirring & cooking till the water evaporates and the quinoa is toasted.
- Cook: Using 2 cups of water per cup of quinoa, bring the quinoa to a roiling boil in a pot. Lower heat and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Wait: Leave quinoa covered and off the heat for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy! Fluff quinoa gently with a fork and serve. If qunoa is not fuly cooked, return the pot to low heat and cook covered for another 5 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Partial Disclaimer: The product packaging you receive may be different than pictured here. In addition, it may contain information that differs from that shown here. Please review the product package before consuming and do not rely only on the details shown here, especially – but not limited to – ingredients and allergens. For more information, please see our full disclaimer.